Sylvia Earle (Oceanographer / Explorer)
Sylvia Earle has been called “Her Deepness” by the New Yorker and the New York Times, “Living Legend” by the Library of Congress, and “Hero for the Planet” by Time.
She is an oceanographer, explorer, author, and lecturer with a deep commitment to research through personal exploration.
Earle’s work has been at the frontier of deep ocean exploration for four decades. Earle has led more than 50 expeditions worldwide involving more than 6,000 hours underwater. As captain of the first all-female team to live underwater, she and her fellow scientists received a ticker-tape parade and White House reception upon their return to the surface.
In 1979, Sylvia Earle walked untethered on the sea floor at a lower depth than any other woman before or since. In the 1980s she started the companies Deep Ocean Engineering and Deep Ocean Technologies with engineer Graham Hawkes to design and build undersea vehicles that allow scientists to work at previously inaccessible depths.
In the early 1990s, Dr. Earle served as Chief Scientist of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration. At present she is explorer-in-residence at the National Geographic Society.
Sylvia Earle is a dedicated advocate for the world’s oceans and the creatures that live in them. Her voice speaks with wonder and amazement at the glory of the oceans and with urgency to awaken the public from its ignorance about the role the oceans plays in all of our lives and the importance of maintaining their health.
- Sylvia Earle's TED Prize Wish To Protect Our Oceans
- Fancy A Career Change? How About Rowing Solo Across Two Oceans?
- Polar Explorer Elham Al Qasimi With Riz Khan
- Anousheh Ansari (Entrepreneur/Space Explorer)
- Online Resources To Help Empower Girls
- Edith Widder (Deep Sea Explorer)
- Sarah Marquis (Explorer)
- Funny, She Doesn't Look Like An Arctic Explorer
- Roz Savage (Ocean Rower)
- Alexandra David-Neel (Explorer/Anarchist)
- AAA Alphabetical TED Women Talks List
- Ann Bancroft (Arctic Explorer/Teacher/Adventurer)