25 100-Year-Old Factoids
Susan notes: talk about future shock...!
More than just cars have changed since vehicles such as this 1910 Ford Model R were in style. Consider these factoids:
1) Fuel for this car was sold in drug stores only.
2) There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads in the USA.
3) The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
4) The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.
5) Only 14 percent of US homes had a bathtub.
6) Only 8 percent of US homes had a telephone.
7) The average US wage was 22 cents per hour.
8) The average US worker made $200 to $400 per year.
9) A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 annually, a dentist $2,500; a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000; and a mechanical engineer about $5,000.
10) More than 95 percent of all births in the US took place at HOME.11) Ninety percent of all doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as 'substandard.'
12) Sugar and coffee cost four and 15 cents a pound respectively.
13) Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
14) Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
15) Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
16) The five leading causes of death were: 1. Pneumonia and influenza 2. Tuberculosis 3. Diarrhea 4. Heart disease 5. Stroke
17) The American flag had 45 stars.
18) The population of Las Vegas , Nevada , was 30.
19) Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.
20) There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
21) Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write.
22) Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
23) Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Pharmacists said: 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health.’
24) Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help. 25) There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !
You are viewing this simultaneously with dozens of other people around the world on the Internet, using a computer, which in 1910 could scarcely even be imagined. I wonder what things will be like 100 years from now....?
- 92-year-old Sky Diver Still Finding Adventure
- 20 Reasons Why We Still Need The "F" Word
- 23 Shockingly Sexist Vintage Ads
- 22 Pearls of Everyday Feminine Wisdom
- 12 Quotes I Love
- 62 Pearls of Amazing Feminine Wisdom
- 23 I'm A Man I Can Fix That DIY Solutions
- 12 Things I Learned When You Thought I Wasn't Looking
- 24 Toni Morrison Quotable Quotes
- 21 Tips To Promote Personal Well Being