Triple Filter Test For Gossip
Susan Notes: In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom; there's no doubt about that. However, whether or not this story is fact or fiction is unknown. But it's kind of a cool rule to follow...
One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance who ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?"
Wait a moment," Socrates replied. "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It’s called the Triple Filter Test."
"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my student let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"
"No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and..."
"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?"
"No, on the contrary..."
"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, even though you're not certain it's true?"
The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.
Socrates continued. "You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter - the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?"
"No, not really..."
"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful." why tell it to me at all?"
The man was defeated and ashamed.
This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.
- How Clean Are Your Windows?
- 5 Ways To Make Today Better Than Yesterday
- 30 Relationship Tips For Women Who Love Men
- 27 Really Useful Things I've Learned...
- 10 Lessons to Learn From A Dog's Life
- 11 Things I've Learned (Maya Angelou)
- What Do YOU See Through The Window?
- 37 Quick Tips To Help Maintain Your Sanity
- 10 Rules To Live By Every Single Day
- 11 Lessons from Noah's Ark
- 17 Thoughts on Being Old and Grey
- 12 Things I Learned When You Thought I Wasn't Looking
- 30 Things to Have & Know by Age 30
- 10 Rules For Amazing & Brilliant Women