7 Doorways to Love & How To Open Yours!
Guest blog post by Marci Shimoff author of Love for No Reason: 7 Steps to Creating a Life of Unconditional Love.
Contrary to what greeting cards tell us, love isn’t just flowers, hearts, and a warm, fuzzy feeling; it’s actually a field of energy that we can tap into on many different levels—physical, emotional, and spiritual.
This love energy is what makes life truly joyful and juicy.
So how do we tap into that energy and amp up our lives? By connecting to the body’s built-in energy system.
According to many different wisdom traditions, we have seven main energy centers in our body. If you’ve attended a yoga class, you’ve probably heard them called by their Sanskrit name: the chakras.
As part of my research for my latest book, Love for No Reason, I interviewed over 150 unconditionally loving people—I call them the Love Luminaries—and noticed something fascinating: all of the characteristics Love Luminaries share match the specific qualities traditionally attributed to each of the energy centers.
For example, unconditionally loving people all seem to believe that they live in a “friendly universe,” which gives them a deep sense of safety in the world. This quality of safety is associated with the first energy center, located at the base of the spine.
When you think of each energy center as a doorway to love—you could say that the energy of love flows into our lives through the following seven doorways:
- The Doorway to Safety: Being in the Here and Now. This doorway is connected to the energy center located at the base of the spine, and is related to feeling safe, secure, and grounded.
- The Doorway to Vitality: Turning Up the Juice. This doorway is connected to the energy center located in the area of the sacrum or lower abdomen and is related to feeling vital and alive – both physically and emotionally.
- The Doorway of Unconditional Self-Love – Loving Yourself No Matter What. This doorway is connected to the energy center located in the area of the naval or solar plexus and is related to feeling empowered and worthy of love.
- The Doorway of Openness: Living with an Open Heart. This doorway is connected to the energy center located in the heart and is related to being open to fully giving and receiving love.
- The Doorway of Communication: Coming from Compassion. This doorway is connected to the energy center located in the area of the throat and is related to being able to listen and express ourselves from a place of love.
- The Doorway of Vision: Seeing with the Eyes of Love. This doorway is connected to the energy center located in the middle of the forehead, also called the third eye, and is related to intuition and the ability to see inner and outer truth and beauty.
- The Doorway to Oneness: Connecting to Wholeness. This doorway is connected to the energy center located at the top of the head, and relates to feeling connected to a larger whole: God, Spirit, Higher Self, Nature, the Divine or the Universe.
Everything you need to feel greater unconditional love is available to you through these doorways. If you want to be able to give and receive love more fully, focus on developing the qualities that correlate to these centers. When we feel greater safety, vitality, empowerment, openness, expression, vision, and oneness, then we can truly experience Love for No Reason.
Marci Shimoff wrote the NY Times bestseller Love for No Reason: 7 Steps to Creating a Life of Unconditional Love (Free Press, 2010), which offers a breakthrough approach to experiencing a lasting state of unconditional love—the key to lasting joy and fulfillment in life. Shimoff is also author of the NY Times bestseller Happy for No Reason and co-author of the Chicken Soup for the Woman’s Soul series. Follow Marci on Twitter @marci_shimoff.