- There are over 3 million incidents of domestic violence annually in the United States. That means that every 9 seconds someone is being beaten by their domestic partner!
- A 2005 study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that domestic violence affects the lives of 32 million people each year across the country.
- On average, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends in the U.S every day.
- Domestic violence causes more injuries to women in the U.S. between the ages of 15 and 44 than car accidents, muggings and rapes combined.
- Nearly one third of the women who seek care from hospital emergency are there for injuries resulting from domestic violence.
- Forty percent of girls age 14 to 17 report knowing someone their age who has been hit or beaten by a boyfriend.
- In a national survey of more than 6,000 American families, 50 percent of the men who frequently assaulted their wives also frequently abused their children.
For more information on a Boston-based innovative proramme to help victims of domestic violence regain their self esteem, go to The R.O.S.E. Fund.