Will I Be Pretty? Will I Be Pretty? Will I Be...?
Susan notes: this poetry slam performance by Katie Makkai knocked my socks off. Oh, AND it reminded me of how amazingly pretty I am:)
What is a poetry slam?
A poetry slam is a competition at which poets read or recite original work (or, more rarely, that of others). These performances are then judged on a numeric scale by previously selected members of the audience.
Typically, poetry slam is highly politicized, speaking on many issues including current social and economic issues, gendered injustices, and racial issues. Poets are judged not only on the content of their slam but the manner of delivery and passion behind their words.
- No Wonder Our Perception Of Beauty Is Distorted
- Four Poems By Sunita Luma
- What Women Deserve: Sonya Renee Slams!
- Suheir Hammad Performs Poems of War, Peace, Women & Power
- Poetry: The Mammogram by Julia Napier
- What I Will: Slam Poetry That Slams War
- Sarah Kay: If I should have a daughter ...