23 Shockingly Sexist Vintage Ads
Susan notes: These ads were collected and posted by Oral Adams and introduced thus:
Since the 1950s, a lot has changed in the way of women’s rights and their duties in and out of the house. I highly doubt any company could get away with phrases like “The Chef [mixer] does everything but cook – that’s what wives are for!” nowadays. Or how about an ad agency pitching a company an idea of a wife bent over her husband’s knee as he prepares to spank her.
We've come a long way since most of these ads were first published, but we've still got a long way to go - and the last one is hardly "vintage." Which do you think are more sexist - these? Or the racy, sometimes violent, ads that are prevalent currently?
- Does A Butchered Woman Hanging From Meat Hooks Make You Want To Shop?
- 8 More Vintage Sexist Ads
- 20 Reasons Why We Still Need The "F" Word
- Invisible Women: Where Is Half The World's Population?
- Misrepresented? You Bet We Are!
- 60 Sexy Shoes To Knock Your Socks Off