5 Lessons To Learn From Porcupines
It was the coldest winter ever – so cold that many animals froze to death.
In an effort to save themselves from this icy fate, the porcupines decided to gather together to fend off the chill.
They huddled close to each other, covered and protected from the elements, and warmed by their collective body heat.
But their prickly quills proved to be a bit of a problem in close proximity – they poked and stabbed each other, wounding their closest companions.
The warmth was wonderful, but the mutual needling became increasingly uncomfortable. Eventually, they began to distance themselves one from the other, scattering in the forest only to end up alone and frozen. Many died.
It soon became clear that they would have to choose between solitary deaths in the frigid wilderness and the discomfort of being needled by their companions’ quills when they banded together.
Wisely, they decided to return to the huddle. They learned to live with the little wounds caused by the close relationship with their fellows, in order to benefit from the collective heat they generated as a group. In this way they were able to survive.
Possible morals of the story
- We all hurt each other from time to time, it’s an inevitable part of being in relationship and community. But in the end we’re often better off together than we might be apart.
- Learning to accept each other’s imperfections can be a successful survival strategy.
- People are not perfect. Accepting and living with our own imperfections as well as those of others, is one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves and those close to us.
- A little needling can be a good thing.
- Learn to live with the pricks in your life – they may be serving some higher purpose :)
Yes, I know the pictures are of hedgehogs not porcupines but here's a video that proves the same principles apply:
- Nails in the Fence
- Take A Look: They Can Do It, So Can We
- How Clean Are Your Windows?
- The Butterfly's Struggle For Beauty
- Created to be Amazing!
- The Wolf is at the Door
- The REAL Seven Wonders of The World
- The Starfish Story: Making A Difference
- Everything is Black and White