10 Obscure Facts About Orgasm
Susan notes: these are taken, in abbreviated form, from a fascinating TED talk by sexpert Mary Roach, author of the book Bonk!
BTW, I love all kinds of words and things that begin with the letter "O" including ominous, olfactory, oranges, Oprah, orangutans, owls, olives, oil, observations, omens, others, and oh, oh, oh, OMG...!
1) You can have them before you’re born
Yep, researchers have apparently captured ultrasound images of male feotuses grapping their tiny penises and… well, I leave the rest to your imagination…
2) You don’t need genitals to have them
One woman whom Roach interviewed was turned on by brushing her teeth - pass me my toothbrush please!.
3) You can have them when you’re dead
It has something to do with reflexes, don’t you know?
4) They can cause bad breath
No, not in the way that you may think!
5) They can cure hiccups
SO much more fun than breathing into a paper bag, or drinking a glass of water!
6) They were once prescribed to increase the chance of conception
Sperm gets sucked up the vaginal canal by the contractions, otherwise known as the “up-suck” theory :P
7) The “up-suck” theory, while disproved in humans, actually works in pigs
See the ummm….interesting video demo in Roach’s talk.
8) Female animals have more fun than you might think during sex
See 7 above.
9) Studying human orgasm in a lab is not easy
Why am not surprised by this?
10) Male ejaculate has been documented to “spurt” as far as eight feet
Groan - as if pissing contests aren't bad enough! OK guys, circle jerk!
Hear more fascinating detail in Mary Roach's TED talk.
Image courtesy of Thread Art.